Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Apple Cider Apple Cups
I saw the post on Gimme some Oven for cups made out of apples (!!!) and HAD to make these. Seriously, you cut open apples and put in some homemade (or store-bought if you want) apple cider. Genius. Hot apple cider on a cold day, snuggled up on the couch, is one version of paradise. You can also try putting caramel in these apple cups and serving apple slices to dip into it (Genius again!). Here's a link on how to do the caramel apple thing. It's on my to-make list once my son is old enough for that sort of treat (9 months is a little early for both sugar and crunchy food though). These apple cups are not only edible when you're done, but super-cute, fun, and different. Try making some for a party or just because.
Apple Cider (Homemade, or Store-bought)
1. Cut tops off of apples and set aside.
2. Use a paring knife to cut around the edge of the apple to make a "rim," about 1/4"-1/2" inch thick.
3. Using a spoon, or melon-baller, scoop out the meat of the apple. Brush a little lemon juice inside the apple to keep it from browning.
3. If your apple sits lopsided, feel free to shave/cut a little bit off the bottom (as long as you don't cut through the apple for obvious leakage reasons).
4. Fill with cider, add a cinnamon stick and Enjoy!!